Thursday 14 March 2019

Anthony Burill Interview

Today I read an interview with Anthony Burrill which I found extremely interesting to read as I have been a fan of his work for some time, the interview was published in 2014. Throughout the interview he is asked questions regarding his personal creative journey, how he started out as a designer, his aesthetic and processes.

Whilst I was reading through the interview, I made some notes of points which I find interesting and also beneficial towards my personal design practice:

  • It was a lot different when he was back at art school, a lot more traditional. He mentions that although it was a degree course, the borders were quite blurred between printmaking, illustration, graphic design and typography. 'You could do anything really. And then I got to the Royal College, and that was more about ideas and more about the context than the craft.' - I think being able to experiment fully at the start and even throughout your personal design practice is important, there shouldn't be loads of limitations and rules when it comes down to design, experimentation is important

  • Since his design practice started off as more traditional (when computers weren't really accessible) traditional techniques continued to play a huge part towards his aesthetic and highly influenced his design journey at its peak. 

  • 'Because I am traditionally trained to make camera-ready artwork and to produce work using a photocopy machine, that [aesthetic] is very much hand-crafted. So, when computers came along, I kind of resisted them for a while; I thought I could carry on doing it the traditional way. It took a long time for me to embrace the technology. But now I still use technology with that analogue mindset. I like things that are physically produced.' I like that even though he is more familiar and comfortable with computer/screen based work, he still prefers physically produced work- which is what I also prefer, over screen

  • The interviewer mentions that Anthony has become a 'curator of phases in a way' (throughout his design journey)- Anthony mentions that he feels like the graphic design becomes less and less important, as if he is going beyond graphic design since he's been doing it for twenty years. now 'it’s more about reaching out to people, communicating. It’s about being social, as we all are.


No comments:

Post a Comment