Sunday 14 January 2018

Visit to the Hepworth Gallery

Today, me and a few of my friends took a trip down to the Hepworth Art Gallery in Wakefield, this was my first time visiting the gallery which made it more exciting. We planned this trip in order to keep ourselves inspired while at the same time hoping to discover some new artists that can be referenced in future work if appropriate. This was also a nice day out as I enjoy visiting galleries regularly.

The gallery consisted of work by famous artists which include Barbara Hepworth, Picasso, David Hockey and Ben Nicholson. It was interesting to actually see the work of Ben Nicholson in person; I have referenced him in previous work, I felt that his work was more intriguing in person as images off google don't do it justice. I also really enjoyed seeing work the work of Picasso as he is an artist that I have always loved. However, there was a lot of work by artists that i'd never heard of, these pieces were more interesting to me.


This was one of the installations that I really enjoyed looking at, as soon as I walked into this room I felt intrigued by this piece. The ceramic mushrooms were created by the artist Serena Korda; Daughters of Necessity, they were then hung from the ceiling in interesting composition. These mushroom ceramics had been fitted with contact microphones in order to capture the natural sounds and vibrations of the ceramics while hung in the room. Korda is interested in the relationships between ancient cosmology and theories of quantum physics. 


This is another piece that I loved at the Hepworth Gallery; Sunken Line, 2015 by Clare Woods. Her work focuses on often overlooked elements of landscape such as rock formations, natural pools, twisted vegetations etc. Colour palette is also a huge key element to how her work looks so striking and abstract; the contrast between the colours with the squeegee like marks work extremely weIl. I think another reason why this was my favourite piece at the gallery was because her work reminds me of the work of Fiona Rae; one of my favourite artists.


More pieces at the gallery that I found interesting; 








No comments:

Post a Comment