Saturday 29 June 2019

Everything Goes Soirée- Designs

The 'Everything Goes Soirée' is an end of summer party that me and my family are throwing at the start of September. The theme 'Everything Goes' means that the guests can dress up in any fancy dress they like or even mix several themes together , bring any food and drinks they like, and any entertainment, everything goes!

The party required a poster/flyer which would be sent out to family and friends that don't use Facebook (as they aren't be able to see the event page), the poster up will also be up at the party in a larger scale. Furthermore, the Facebook event also needed a banner photo which uses the same design.

The poster/flyer must include all the key information:

  • Date
  • Time
  • Address
  • Name of the party
  • Small description 'Food, music, fun, party tricks, dressing up, anything you want... everything goes!'
I started with looking at some event posters which I found interesting and relevant. I liked the first two posters below because of the way they use a main piece of imagery to dominate most of the page, with the information at the bottom quarter. I also found the use of bold colours really eye-catching which relates well with party events, poster number 3 also uses an interesting limited colour palette which I enjoyed.

Furthermore, Poster 3 and 4 were my favourites due to their funky and fresh aesthetic. I particularly loved the image used in Poster 4. Poster 3 is also successful as it clearly communicates that it is for a summer festival through using appropriate imagery.

For my poster, I considered layout of the text and imagery in similar ways to these 4 posters, as well as using one strong piece of imagery to dominate most of the page and give the overall poster a funky, eye-catching aesthetic.



Poster 3

Poster 4


Below shows the initial designs which I created for the poster. For the image, I created a collage which relates to summer through collaging a selection of random summer images together, the randomness relates with the 'Everything Goes' theme. I also love collage as a technique as it gives everything a fun, quirky feel.

Below shows the main initial designs. I felt that a Sans Serif typeface was most appropriate so that all of the information is legible as the main aim is to provide the key information about the party, with the image being the main focus. Furthermore, I felt that the design which used the typeface Impact was more successful as it looks more eye catching and poster appropriate.


The design below experiments with scale of the image, as I felt that the yellow background wasn't really working and I wanted the overall poster to look busier.


The designs were then developed through experimenting further with colour, scale and layout. Below shows a few colour variations, I wanted the colours to represent summer and fun so I focused on brights and neons.



The final poster uses the collaged image in two different scales and colour in order to look more experimental and exciting, a busier and bolder design is more appropriate for a party event as it is more upbeat. I also chose this colour palette as most of my friends and family liked it is most, I agreed. Furthermore, the key information is in a larger, bolder text with the other information alongside it in smaller scales to fit the page layout and imagery.

Final Poster
Section of the poster used for the Facebook event page banner:

iPhone

Laptop

No comments:

Post a Comment