Friday 9 February 2018

Presentation Critique

Today I presented my final presentation and 3 applications to my crit group of around 15. I received a good amount of feedback, positive and negative. I agreed with everything that was said.

The main positive feedback was that I had a good amount of research to back up my ideas, which also clearly represented my working aesthetic straight from the start, it was clear to see why I would be inspired by those particular artists. Another positive was that my collages worked extremely well, everyone seemed to enjoy the funky, vibrant aesthetic of them. Ben made a point of using the same collage technique when designing my book cover for the Penguin book cover competitions.

Furthermore, the main area to improve was to actually consider what am I trying to say from my applications, how will they actually communicate to the designers and agencies that I want to contact? Would each designer get sent one of the posters? or maybe they'd get sent the polaroids which would have a message on each one at the bottom?. Another area to improve was to be less descriptive when talking and get straight to the point, as in don't just say why I like something, talk more about what inspires me about it.

Overall, I found this brief really fun but at the same time challenging. It was fun because I was able to experiment fully with whatever I wanted, I was free to do whatever I wanted with no design rules to follow. However, I think it was challenging because the whole idea of self branding was a little bit intimidating as a whole at times, because I don't really think about myself as a person in that much depth and detail. I feel that by tackling this brief I have learnt a lot about myself and where I'd like to be in the future after graduating, more than I knew before.

No comments:

Post a Comment