Monday 27 May 2019

How To Rediscover Your Creativity- Lauren Baker

Today I spent the day at How The Light Gets In festival. HowTheLightGetsIn Festival is the world's largest philosophy and music festival, hosted by the Institute of Art and Ideas. It aims "to get philosophy out of the academy and into people's lives" by bringing together philosophers, writers, academics, comedians and musicians for a festival of debate, talks, music, workshops, and late night parties. 

Taking part in festivals and events like this is very relevant and helpful towards my design practice, in terms of keeping myself inspired and learning more about certain topics that intrigue me that I don't yet have much knowledge on.

Whilst at my trip to How The Light Gets In Festival one of the talks/workshops that I signed up to was 'How To Rediscover Your Creativity' by Lauren Baker.


Throughout the talk, Lauren gave a little background to herself where she mentions that she only discovered that her true calling in life was to be an artist 8 years ago (in her mid twenties) and that it's never too late to change your career. She also mentioned that everyone has creativity in them, it just needs to be found. Furthermore, she also made us take part in small tasks such as drawing without looking at the page, writing down our creative triggers and our creative fears, which was all really fun.

I thought this talk was helpful to an extent, however I feel that it was more relevant towards non-creatives that are trying to bring out their creative side and possibly change their career to something art based or people that generally want to learn more about being an artist. 

She mentioned that when hitting a creative block, you should look for your creative triggers which could include thinking about things that you used to enjoy in childhood and growing up, I thought this point was helpful and I will consider it in the future. I also found that taking time to think about things I enjoy in general without thinking about design outcomes for it was a lot more calming and successful than starting off with thinking about how I could translate it into design.


No comments:

Post a Comment